Beginning in 1887, the City of Loveland diverted all of its municipal water supply directly from the Big Thompson River. The City built a pipeline into the water treatment plant at Chasteen’s Grove that provided high quality water for many decades. Following the 1976 flood in the Big Thompson Canyon, when Loveland’s population was about 25,000, citizens supported additional protection for the City’s water supply. From this concern, Green Ridge Glade Reservoir was built in the valley above the water treatment plant. Since completion, the reservoir has provided about 600 acre-feet of stored water to use in emergency situations. With the current population of over 50,000 people, the reservoir will provide water for about six days during the hottest part of the summer, if water use is not curtailed.